OGA releases new data packages to revitalise Greater Buchan Area
The Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) is continuing to make more and more data openly available to help revitalise exploration of oil and gas in the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS).
At PROSPEX 2018 today, we are pleased to announce our latest significant data release, the publication of a suite of subsurface data packages for the Greater Buchan Area on 17 December in advance of the opening of the Supplementary 31st Offshore Round in Q1 2019.
The latest data release includes:
- Well/Completion log data for 154 wells
- 10 released 3D seismic surveys
- 26 relinquishment reports
- 4 promotional technical montages
The OGA has initiated a new Area Plan to maximise economic recovery (MER UK) from the Greater Buchan area of the North Sea and is asking oil and gas operators to work together to develop the 150-300 million barrels of oil equivalent (mmboe) estimated to be present in the area.
Situated in the Outer Moray Firth, the area features considerable open, currently unlicensed acreage, including a number of undeveloped discoveries. The OGA is encouraging companies to partner with each other and collaborate to progress exploration and new developments in the area.
Scott Robertson, Central North Sea Area Manager at the OGA said: “As a key sponsor of PROSPEX 2018, the OGA is delighted to engage with industry on the 2019 Supplementary Licence Round and announce the release of a suite of subsurface data for the Greater Buchan Area which has significant redevelopment opportunity, undeveloped discoveries and exploration potential. We are encouraging prospective operators to look beyond individual opportunities and adopt an area plan approach to their licence applications through collaboration and actively partnering with other companies to unlock this exciting opportunity.”
“If you have any questions about the new data or the forthcoming Supplementary Offshore Licensing Round, please speak with the OGA team at Stand 45 today.”
At PROSPEX 2018, the OGA’s Exploration and New Ventures Manager Nick Richardson and Business Development Manager Central North Sea, Alistair Macfarlane will be giving presentations in session one and session three. Visitors are welcome to come along to meet the OGA who are exhibiting at Stand 45, next to the café area in the central hall.
The openly available data packages can be accessed via links on the OGA website which include an area of interest outline for each of the products.
Notes to editors
- The data suites can be accessed here
- A map of the Greater Buchan Area can be found here.
- Area Plans are a shared view amongst industry participants of the optimal way to achieve MER UK in a specific set of circumstances. More information on Area Plans can be found here.
- 4. Information on PROSPEX 2018 can be found: https://www.pesgb.org.uk/prospex-2018/
- More information on Licensing Rounds and additional data can be viewed here.
- Information from the ‘Greater Buchan Area’ Information Day held in November can be found here.
For more information, please contact Tracey Miller, Communications Manager at OGA press office: Tel: +44 (0) 300 020 1072 or email@example.com.Keep me informed