Our Technology Strategy aims to support the growth of net exports of technology equipment and services by the UK-based supply chain
The UKCS is one of the world’s most technologically advanced and diverse hydrocarbon provinces with a successful track record for pioneering new technologies throughout its long development and production history, spanning over 50 years.
Sustaining investments in the adoption, adaption and development of mature and new technology solutions has the potential to transform field development, production performance and cost effectiveness in the UKCS. Successful implementation of technology will enable the industry to extend the life of mature fields by several years and reduce their eventual decommissioning costs. In addition, it can improve the economics of many new, smaller or technically challenging fields, helping to unlock part of the 3.4 billion barrel of oil equivalent (boe) existing discoveries which are currently not under development. Key additional benefits include the associated industry expertise which will strengthen the UK as a global leader in exporting oil and gas technology equipment and services, while reducing imports.
The aim of this technology strategy is to create the right set of conditions in the UKCS to:
- Achieve MER UK objectives by revitalising exploration, enabling the development of marginal discoveries and reducing costs of field developments, operations and decommissioning
- Grow exports of the UK-based supply chain and reduce imports by reinforcing the position of
the UK as a global centre of excellence in oil and gas technology for equipment and services
The new Oil and Gas Technology Centre (OGTC), working alongside the industry and established research and development (R&D) institutions, will improve the effectiveness of technology R&D and will therefore be critical to achieving swift and sustainable uptake and implementation of technology.
The OGA is already working with industry, governments and the research community to overcome current constraints to technology innovation and commercialisation. This Technology Strategy will be implemented by the OGA, Technology Leadership Board (TLB) and the OGTC working together with the industry to ensure commitment to:
- Set priorities – The TLB, including industry and the OGA, identifies technology priorities, defining scope and robust business cases and plans which cover technology development and adoption through to deployment
- Promote innovation – Working with the TLB, the OGA and other established R&D institutions, the OGTC is responsible for delivering technology solutions, including unlocking supply chain potential, leveraging the wider network of UK technology and research organisations, and creating UK centres of excellence in technologies for mature oil and gas basins
- Oversee industry efforts – The OGA will exercise its powers, as stipulated in the Strategy, to regulate, influence and promote technology via the direct engagement of licence holders on Technology Plans, performance benchmarking, knowledge sharing and technology deployment campaigns
For further details on Technology actions, please see the Delivery Programme
OGA Technology StrategyDownload PDF | 1325KB | 18 pages