Cultural Change Champion
Early in 2017 Steve Phimister, VP and Director, Shell UK was appointed Industry Cultural Change Champion. The requirement for cultural change across the UKCS was identified in the Wood Review and while the OGA has seen some excellent examples of collaboration, there are, however, still some instances of poor behaviours.
The role of the Industry Cultural Change Champion alongside the task forces leaders, is to act as a catalyst for behavioural change to embed, sustain and accelerate the cultural change of the industry through the integration, prioritisation and sponsorship of change activities.
Industry Behavioural Guidelines for Creating Quality Area Plans
Industry is tasked with leading the development and delivery of Area Plans. The OGA estimates that effective use of Area Plans has the potential to unlock ~4 billion barrels of resources. Area Plans require numerous participants, with different interests, to collaborate on a shared long-term view of the optimal way to achieve MER UK, whilst supporting the drive to net zero carbon by 2050, in a specific set of circumstances. Success will require new ways of working – the eight critical behaviours described in the Collaborative Behaviour Quantification Tool (CBQT) are key enablers. As a result, industry has come together and created Guidelines, below, to help those involved in Area Plans to apply these eight behaviours. The Guidelines highlight the importance of working with trust, transparency and momentum to explore new ideas and thereby establish and sustain an “Area Plan with MER UK and net zero focus”. The Guidelines aim to help participants set up for success by providing advice, sharing insights from existing Area Plan groups, and signposting relevant tools and resources. The Guidelines have been developed with the support of the OGA and Oil & Gas UK.
Industry Behaviourial Guidelines
Sharing Best Practice
Sharing good examples of collaboration that can be replicated across the basin is an important way to help catalyse meaningful behavioural change and improve performance. A cross-selection of recent Case Studies has been collated and can be accessed via the links below. Some of these case studies were profiled at an industry-wide Cultural Change event for senior managers on 7th December. We need to keep the learning and the conversations going, so why not share your own case study (you can use the template above) from within your own organisations?
- Total Culzean - Collaborative Behaviours
- Dunlin Bypass- Cross JV collaboration
- Shell, Diamond, Awilco, Rowan, BHGE & Halliburton - Rigs and Services contracting
- CNR International (U.K.) & Aker Solutions - Operator & multi contractor collaboration
- Arran Development - Commercial negotiations
- Premier, Dana & Kellas - Tolmount/HGS Infrastructure Partnership
- Ineos FPS - FPS pipline repair
- Repsol-Hurricane Collaboration - finding a collaborative solution in a challenging project environment
- Peterson - Central North Sea PSV pooling: Driving efficiencies through collaboration
- Nexen – Buzzard Phase 2: An integrated operator/supply chain approach to major field development
- Shell, Sevan, CGG - Penguins Cross-Industry Collaboration to Deliver Penguins Project FID
- Expro,Wintershall – Maria Project Collaboration Case Study
- Expro, BP – Landing String Collaboration Case Study
- BP, Shell – Quad 208 seismic collaborative behaviours case study
- BP/Hydrasun - Flexible hose assemblies
- BP - Scaffolding optimisation