Senior Business Analyst
|No. of posts:||1|
|Vacancy Reference Number:||OGA015|
|Salary range:||circa £50,000 per annum plus benefits|
|Location:||Aberdeen or London|
|Travel to other locations with UK?||
|Appointment Term||Full time|
|Level of Security clearance||Basic|
Unless otherwise stated consideration will be given to requests to work on a part time or job share basis. Flexible working hours can also be considered.
|Closing date for applications:||28 Jun 2017|
Brief overview of role
As Senior Business Analyst, take full responsibility for business analysis activity within the OGA, supporting junior colleagues where necessary, where the advice given and decisions made will have a measurable impact on the effectiveness of the organisation.
Act as a bridge and conduit between the Directorates and IS function, identifying and framing opportunities to support, sustain and improve business processes by applying IT and IM solutions.
Actively seek new opportunities for the IS function to add value. Establish the contribution that technology can make to business objectives, defining strategies, validating and justifying business needs, conducting feasibility studies, producing high level and detailed business models, preparing business cases, overseeing development and implementation of solutions, taking into account the implications of change on the organisation and all stakeholders.
Guide senior management towards accepting change brought about through process and organisational changes. Able to speak fluently on all aspects of work and communicate effectively with all levels of management and in public forums.
Ensure the portfolio of applications within the Energy Portal, the regulatory platform for industry, is well managed, developed and supported to fulfil OGA objectives. Provide practical help and advice to users and support providers to ensure problems are addressed and effective use is made of the applications.
Monitor and oversee delivery of the IS project programme, ensuring all Project Managers adhere to prescribed standards and projects are delivered according to agreed scope, deliverable, timeframe and cost objectives.
Coach and mentor junior colleagues to help them develop their technical and professional competences and skills.
Detailed job description and key responsibilities
- Build and maintain effective relationships with internal stakeholders. Establish credibility by demonstrating an understanding of the core strategic priorities for the organization, ensuring targets that form part of IS plans are aligned with organizational targets.
- Build and maintain a strong understanding of OGA organisational responsibilities and processes. Make sure appropriate information and data assets, applications and tools are available and maintained to support these processes effectively.
- Capture new demands and requirements from business stakeholders for IS solutions. Define objectives, benefits and costs, scope work, secure business support and funding, and initiate projects accordingly.
- Proactively identify and frame opportunities for the IS function to add value by applying IS solutions to support or improve business processes. Define objectives, benefits and costs, scope work, secure business support and funding, and initiate projects accordingly.
- Provide guidance and assistance to all personnel across the organisation, raising awareness of the portfolio of systems, published policies, standards and guidelines. Identify user training requirements where appropriate. Actively communicate IS strategy and plans to ensure stakeholders are aware, supportive and involved as necessary.
- Work with external stakeholders and Energy Portal users to elicit and assess feedback for the services and applications provided, identifying areas for potential enhancement.
- Maintain oversight of the IS project programme, ensuring all projects are executed according to agreed standards and processes. Monitor project delivery to ensure scope and objectives are satisfied in line with agreed costs, timeframes and other commitments. Support Business Analysts and Project Managers with guidance, advice and practical help as required.
- Ensure all aspects of information systems are fully documented including application architecture, data architecture, security cases, design documents, business impact assessments, technical infrastructure, support documents, user guides and commercial documents. Maintain documentation and standards to ensure they correctly reflect the operational landscape and remain evergreen.
- Manage the portfolio of applications within the Energy Portal throughout the defined software lifecycle; from functional requirements specification, development, testing, deployment, on-going support and management, through to replacement and decommissioning.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of an applications catalogue defining the portfolio of products and suites used across the organisation.
- Provide expertise and support for the portfolio of applications, including assistance to investigate and resolve problems, co-ordinate maintenance tasks, analyse and model data, and define enhancements and modifications.
- Manage assigned vendor relationships including license management and budgeting, maintenance, service level management, and provide input into periodic vendor performance reviews.
- Adhere to the IS Change Management process, ensuring changes affecting our business are communicated effectively. Liaise with IS colleagues to successfully plan and execute changes.
- With reference to a professional competence framework, help junior colleagues to identify competence gaps and define development targets. Provide mentorship and coaching to help them develop their technical and professional competences and skills.
- Competence 1: Changing and Improving - Strong desire and capability to make improvements, seeking out opportunities and taking the initiative to drive them through; Delivering meaningful results and demonstrating benefits.
- Competence 2: Leading and Communicating - Identifying and communicating goals and objectives with passion. Getting others on board and motivating them to perform at their best; Providing guidance to others, providing direction to undertake specified tasks, and providing support as required; Delegating tasks, responsibilities and authorities effectively. Delivering through others; Setting a good example for others to follow.
- Competence 3: Achieving Commercial Outcomes - Maintaining a commercial frame of mind in all activities; Identifying economic, market and business issues and using these to promote innovative business models, commercial partnerships and agreements to deliver greatest value; Ensuring robust commercial controls are maintained relating to finances, resources and contracts to meet operational and strategic priorities.
- Competence 4: Delivering at Pace - Meeting deadlines, prioritising and organising a busy programme of work; Taking responsibility and accountability for quality and timely outcomes; Building a performance culture where staff are given space, authority and support to deliver outcomes; Keeping a firm focus on priorities and addressing performance issues resolutely, fairly and promptly.
Specialist Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Licenses, Memberships or Language
|• Significant experience in IS/IT, with exposure to Business Analysis, Project Management, Service Management and Business Improvement techniques.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques for preparing and presenting business cases and commercial documents such as Requests for Proposals, Invitations to Tender and Statements of Requirements.
|• BSc Computing Science or similar
• PRINCE2 certification or similar Project Management qualification
• ITIL Practitioner certification
• Experience of leading a team
• Oil and gas industry experience and business knowledge
Application Process and Further Information
Unfortunately you do not meet minimum nationality and educational requirements of this position.
To apply please send a covering letter and CV quoting the recruitment reference number and job title to OGArecruitment@ogauthority.co.uk
You should provide examples in your covering letter that best demonstrate your skills and abilities against the competencies and specialist skills. The maximum word count against each competence example is 250 words. The information you provide will be assessed during the short listing stage and if you are invited to attend an interview, the indicated competence areas will discussed further.
When completing your application, you should use the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action and Result) methodology for each competence. All appointments are subject to successful completion of pre-employment checks
Equality and diversity statement
The OGA is committed to embedding equality and diversity into all our policies and processes. We will aim to recruit, retain and promote staff on the basis of competence and regardless of characteristics including those listed under the Equality Act 2010. These protected characteristics are; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation