|No. of posts:||1|
|Vacancy Reference Number:||OGA 070|
|Location:||London or Aberdeen|
|Travel to other locations with UK?||
some occasional travel within the UK
|Appointment Term||Full time|
|Level of Security clearance||Basic|
Unless otherwise stated consideration will be given to requests to work on a part time or job share basis. Flexible working hours can also be considered.
|Closing date for applications:||21 Sep 2018|
|Anticipated interview date:||Early October 2018|
Brief overview of role
The OGA seeks an experienced Data Engineer to join a team tasked with unlocking the value in OGA’s structured and unstructured data. The role will be responsible for supporting the creation of, and subsequently maintaining, OGA’s enterprise data by providing data engineering innovation and domain expertise. The role will need to balance long term strategic vision with short-term improvements to OGA’s data landscape.
The Data Engineer will work closely with OGA stakeholders to turn data into critical information and knowledge to support OGA business priorities. Ultimately the Data Engineer will help apply data warehousing principles and methodologies to improve data quality, reporting and analysis across the OGA and its wider stakeholders in government and industry.
This is a new role within a multi-disciplined team in OGA’s corporate directorate reporting to the Head of Digital Services.
Detailed job description and key responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Using Kimball methodology to design and develop suitable star schemas for OGA’s Data Warehouse
- Developing timely and performant ETL batch processes
- Maintaining data dictionaries for use by internal and external customers
- Communicating effectively with non-technical audiences to create trust and authenticity
- Working closely with Business Intelligence and GIS specialists to create, identify, plan, develop and deliver data services/products for users internal and external
Priorities and key challenges
The immediate priorities for the Data Engineer are to:
- Engage with OGA stakeholders to understand data requirements
- Develop and test ETL batch processes for key datasets required in OGA’s Data Warehouse
Support source system analysis to present clear insights to colleagues on potential use of the data
- Competence 1: Changing and Improving - Open to change and can communicate the need for it. Encourages a culture of innovation and sharing.
- Competence 2: Building Capability for All - Works and communicates effectively and fluently with managers and staff - able to explain complex technical issues in terms that non-technical managers and staff will understand.
- Competence 3: Managing a Quality Service - Considers the diverse needs and requirements of customers. Plan, manage and organise time effectively to deliver high quality services.
- Competence 4: Delivering at Pace - Able to meet deadlines in an agile manner, prioritise and organise a busy schedule of work; Creative, enthusiastic and committed to the role; Proactive, taking action and anticipating opportunities.
Specialist Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Licenses, Memberships or Language
|• Strong working knowledge of dimensional modelling and ETL techniques, particularly Kimball
• Strong DDL/ DML/ TCL SQL
• Strong SSIS
• Familiarity with Agile Scrum methodology
• Suitable experience in a similar role(s)
• Strong working knowledge of relational database structures & modelling
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Data driven focus
• Open minded with strong intellectual curiosity
|• Excellent domain knowledge of oil and gas technical data and associated data modelling standards
• Cloud environments and related tools (MS Azure, AWS, etc)
• Machine learning
• Big Data
• Excellent communicator with proven ability to convey data modelling concepts to a non-technical audience
• Knowledge of XML databases and OracleRDBMS
• Knowledge of spatial data and SAFE FME
Application Process and Further Information
Unfortunately you do not meet minimum nationality and educational requirements of this position.
Completed applications will only be accepted via the online application process below, however, if you do require the application form in a different format please contact us at OGArecruitment@ogauthority.co.uk quoting the recruitment reference number and job title.
You should provide examples in your covering letter that best demonstrate your skills and abilities against the competencies and specialist skills. The maximum word count against each competence example is 250 words. The information you provide will be assessed during the short listing stage and if you are invited to attend an interview, the indicated competence areas will discussed further.
When completing your application, you should use the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action and Result) methodology for each competence. All appointments are subject to successful completion of pre-employment checksApply online
Equality and diversity statement
The OGA is committed to embedding equality and diversity into all our policies and processes. We will aim to recruit, retain and promote staff on the basis of competence and regardless of characteristics including those listed under the Equality Act 2010. These protected characteristics are; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation