Data Engineer (ETL Developer)
|No. of posts:||1|
|Vacancy Reference Number:||OGA149|
|Location:||London or Aberdeen|
|Travel to other locations with UK?||
Travel to other office locations within UK
|Appointment Term||Full time|
|Level of Security clearance||Basic|
Unless otherwise stated consideration will be given to requests to work on a part time or job share basis. Flexible working hours can also be considered.
|Closing date for applications:||23 Feb 2020|
|Anticipated shortlisting date:||TBC|
|Anticipated interview date:||TBC|
Brief overview of role
The OGA seeks a Data Engineer/ETL Developer to join a team tasked with unlocking the value in OGA’s structured and unstructured data. The role will support the creation, and subsequent maintenance, of OGA’s enterprise data warehouse by providing data engineering innovation and domain expertise.
The role provides a unique opportunity to be part of a national data warehouse solution working with experienced data warehousing team, which provides data to support the Energy Integration, Carbon Capture and Storage and the next generation of OGA’s data platforms.
The Data Engineer/ETL Developer will work closely with OGA stakeholders to turn data into critical information and knowledge to support OGA business priorities. Ultimately the Data Engineer will apply data warehousing principles and methodologies to improve data quality, reporting and analysis across the OGA and its wider stakeholders in government and industry.
This role sits within a multi-disciplined team in OGA’s corporate directorate reporting to OGA’s Head of Digital Services.
Detailed job description and key responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Using Kimball methodology to design and develop suitable star schemas for OGA’s Data Warehouse
- Developing timely and performant ETL batch processes
- Maintaining data dictionaries for use by internal and external customers
- Communicating effectively with non-technical audiences to create trust and authenticity
- Working closely with Business Intelligence and GIS specialists to create, identify, plan, develop and deliver data services/products for users internal and external
Priorities and key challenges
The immediate priorities for the Data Engineer are to:
- Engage with OGA stakeholders to understand data requirements including those to support Energy Transition and Carbon Capture and Storage.
- Develop and test ETL batch processes for key datasets required in OGA’s Data Warehouse
- Support source system analysis to present clear insights to colleagues on potential use of the data
- Competence 1: Changing and Improving - Open to change and can communicate the need for it. Encourages a culture of innovation and sharing
- Competence 2: Building Capability for All - Works and communicates effectively and fluently with managers and staff - able to explain complex technical issues in terms that non-technical managers and staff will understand
- Competence 3: Managing a Quality Service - Considers the diverse needs and requirements of customers. Plan, manage and organise time effectively to deliver high quality services
- Competence 4: Delivering at Pace - Able to meet deadlines in an agile manner, prioritise and organise a busy schedule of work; Creative, enthusiastic and committed to the role; Proactive, taking action and anticipating opportunities.
Specialist Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Licenses, Memberships or Language
• Working knowledge of dimensional modelling and ETL techniques, particularly Kimball
• Strong DDL/DML/TCL SQL
• Strong SSIS
• Strong working knowledge of relational database structures & modelling
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Data driven focus
• Open minded with strong intellectual curiosity
• Familiarity with Agile Scrum methodology
• Domain knowledge of oil and gas technical data and associated data modelling standards
• Cloud environments and related tools (MS Azure, AWS, etc)
• Knowledge Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence techniques and tolls
• Excellent communicator with proven ability to convey data modelling concepts to a non-technical audience
• Knowledge of XML databases and Oracle RDBMS
• Knowledge of spatial data (ESRI)
• Knowledge of MS PowerBI environments
Application Process and Further Information
Unfortunately you do not meet minimum nationality and educational requirements of this position.
Completed applications will only be accepted via the online application process below, however, if you do require the application form in a different format please contact us at OGArecruitment@ogauthority.co.uk quoting the recruitment reference number and job title.
You should provide examples in your covering letter that best demonstrate your skills and abilities against the competencies and specialist skills. The maximum word count against each competence example is 250 words. The information you provide will be assessed during the short listing stage and if you are invited to attend an interview, the indicated competence areas will discussed further.
When completing your application, you should use the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action and Result) methodology for each competence. All appointments are subject to successful completion of pre-employment checksApply online
Inclusion and Diversity statement
The OGA is committed to embedding equality and diversity into all our policies and processes. We will aim to recruit, retain and promote staff on the basis of competence and regardless of characteristics including those listed under the Equality Act 2010. These protected characteristics are; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.
The OGA is an accredited Disability Confident Committed employer. We have also been awarded silver accreditation for the Gender Diversity Benchmark through Business in the Community, The Prince’s Responsible Business Network. In addition, we are signed up to their Race at Work Charter and implement its five principles. As a further commitment to attracting, retaining and developing a diverse workforce we have signed up to the Axis Pledge.